top of page


WI DNR.jpg


If you are burning inside Eagle River City limits you only need to obtain an Eagle River Fire Department burning permit.  You can stop in at the station to get a free burning permit, but please call first to ensure someone is there to receive you.  (715) 479-8835

If you are burning outside the Eagle River City limits you only need to obtain a Wisconsin DNR burning permit.  You can obtain a free burning permit by visiting their website.

City of ER.jpg


City Ordinance Sec. 38-11. - Open burning. (Please click on the picture link above to read the entire ordinance)

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, all open burning is prohibited within the city. As used in this section, the term "open burning" means kindling or maintaining any fire outside of any residence or other building.

(b) No person shall kindle or maintain any open burning without a permit from the fire chief of the joint municipal fire commission for the type of burning authorized in this section, except the following shall be allowed without a permit:

   (1) Outdoor cooking.

   (2) Campfires.

   (3) Training for fire department personnel.

(c) The fire chief of the joint municipal fire commission may issue a permit on application and on the following conditions:

   (1) The size of the pile of material to be burned shall not exceed four feet by four feet by four feet high.

   (2) The location of the open burning shall be approved by the fire chief and shall be at least 15 feet from any structure, wood or lumber pile, wooden fence, tree or bush.

   (3) Fuel for open burning shall consist of dry material only and shall not be ignited with flammable or combustible liquids.

   (4) Material for open burning may not include wet combustible rubbish, garbage, trash, oily substances, asphalt, plastic or rubber products, rubber tires, greasy rags, asphalt shingles, waste oils, pesticide or paint containers, car bodies and insulated wire or any other item coated with plastic, rubber, leather or petroleum-based materials.

   (5) Open burning shall be constantly attended and supervised by a competent person until such fire is extinguished. The person conducting the burn shall have readily available for use fire extinguishing equipment prior to the commencement of the burn.

   (6) Open burning shall be permitted only from 6:00 p.m. until 12:00 midnight, except on Sundays or holidays when no open burning shall be permitted. Permits issued under this section shall be valid for a period of three days, except for Sundays or holidays.

(d) Application for a permit constitutes consent that the fire chief may enter and inspect the property where the open burning site is located.

(e) Any party who has started or maintains an open burning situation as defined in this section shall pay any and all costs incurred by the joint municipal fire commission for any service-related call as a result of an open burn not in compliance with the requirements of this section.

(f) This section is applicable only to areas zoned single-family residential or multiple-family and is not applicable in any area zoned for any commercial purpose. Any open burning in an area zoned for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

(g) All permits issued by the fire chief of the joint municipal fire commission shall be at no charge.

(h) No permits shall be necessary for open burning when there is a complete and full snow cover of the ground.

(i) No burning by incinerator receptacle is permitted under this section.

(j) Any debris from land which is cleared for building construction or otherwise shall not be permitted to be burned under this section and shall be hauled elsewhere for disposal.

(k) The fire chief may suspend all permits and burning in the city if climatic conditions so require. Any suspension of permits and burning by the fire chief will be advertised to the public by dissemination of this information to the local media.

(l) Any person who violates any provision of this section or burns material not permitted in this section, or fails to comply with any provisions of a permit issued by the fire chief, shall be required to forfeit not less than $100.00, nor more than $200.00, together with the cost of prosecution.

WI DNR.jpg


Simple steps to safe burning
Follow the steps below to conduct legal and responsible burning in the outdoors. (Please click on the WI DNR picture link to obtain a WI DNR burning permit)

1.  Get a permit: Obtain a free permit online or call 1-888-WIS-BURN (947-2876). You can also visit an emergency fire warden or DNR office to get a permit in-person.

2.  Check before burning: On the day you wish to burn after 11 a.m., check the daily burning restrictions or call the hotline 1-888-WIS-BURN (947-2876) and select the county (county codes for burning permit hotline) where you plan to burn. Fire conditions change quickly, so it's important to check each day you burn to find out if burning is allowed, burning hours and any size limitations.

3. Follow the rules: Follow the daily burning restrictions and fire safety recommendations listed on the permit. Make sure to have all the necessary tools to keep your fire contained. Lastly, make sure your fire is completely out before leaving.

Maximum pile sizes and acreages

Maximum pile sizes and acreages are limited by geographic area and indicated within the daily burning restrictions. Upon DNR inspection, special permits may be issued for burning outside the restricted burn times, land clearing and piles or broadcast burns exceeding the maximum size limit.

Contact your local DNR Ranger Station for more information.

Businesses or commercial entities

Businesses or commercial entities burning waste materials, including waste generated off-site by individuals, is not valid under this annual permit but may be eligible for a solid waste wood burning facility license.

Contact the DNR solid waste specialist for your area prior to any burning.



To check burning restrictions please go to the Wisconsin DNR website by clicking the Smokey Bear image above or call 1-888-WIS-BURN (947-2876).

Burning Permits: FAQ
bottom of page